A blog of hopeful, inspired living: cooking & baking & growing & harvesting & preserving & gleaning & eating & sharing food... while bringing positive change to my kitchen and our food system.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Date Apple Walnut Bites


When my baby was only eating purees, she ate pretty much everything. So I came up with a system of preparing and freezing fresh, healthy baby food that worked well for me and guarenteed she was eating like a gourmand. Sweet potato, broccoli, kale, raisin, goji berry puree? Check! Cashew, butternut squash, spinach & quinoa? Check! Now that she's eating solid food and feeding herself, she's become quite the critic. A lot of my masterpieces go on the floor. So when I hit upon a concoction that she likes, I feel like I've won the lottery...especially when it's something that we also enjoy.


These bites have been a winning ticket. They are sweet, easy to chew (a big bonus if you only have four teeth!) and packed with protein, iron, fiber, minerals & other nutrients. They keep weeks in the fridge, and they travel well. And my whole family (and friends, too!) love them.

Oh, and did I mention that they only have 4 ingredients?! Awesomeness.



Just four ingredients! Dates, walnuts, dried apples, oats.

Date Apple Walnut Bites
Ingredients:
1 cup fresh dates, pitted, packed (If your dates are really dry, soak them for a few minutes in hot water; drain before using them in the recipe. I like to drink the sweet liquid or add it to a smoothie instead of dumping it down the sink!)
2 cups dried apple rings (the soft kind, not the crunchy kind)
3/4 cups walnuts
3/4 cups rolled oats (unsweetened coconut flakes also work)

NOTE: I've found this recipe to be very versatile with amounts of ingredients. I've used more or less of various ingredients and still had good luck. The dates really hold everything together, so I always make sure to use a full cup of those!

Directions: 
1. Process the oats in the food processor until nearly but not quite a flour. Set aside about 1/4 cup of the oat 'flour' for rolling the bars in later.

2. Add the walnuts to the food processor and chop until very fine, nearly a flour as well.

3. Add the apples and dates and process until all combined into a nice paste. See photo below.


4. Line a bread pan with plastic wrap. Press the paste into the bread pan.



5. Turn the molded paste out onto a cutting board. Cut into 1-inch squares. 



6. Roll each piece in the oat 'flour' and store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to two weeks. 


Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment