A blog of hopeful, inspired living: cooking & baking & growing & harvesting & preserving & gleaning & eating & sharing food... while bringing positive change to my kitchen and our food system.

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mango Parfaits (by way of Mango Memories)


Twelve years ago, I traveled around the world for 9 months on a field study program called International Honors Program. It was an awesome, inspiring, crazy experience. The friends I made on that trip are like family, and it's always so sweet to see them. What an exceptional treat to see five of them in the last two weeks (plus their significant others and little ones)!




I love that each of them remembers details about our travels that I have forgotten, and I get to relive it all over again each time we get together. We picnic-ed on the grass at the gorgeous Temescal Creek Co-housing community, a perfect setting to catch up and slip back into a community setting. We stopped in at Madras Cafe in Sunnyvale for some South Indian snacks and to reminisce about one travel buddy who ate 17 dosas in one sitting while we were in India.  We stuck our toes in the Santa Cruz surf while chattering about snorkeling (unintentionally) with tiny Filipino jellyfish. Lots of talking, laughing, eating.

Us: IHP 1999/2000
Today's recipe is actually one that I didn't make when my lovely friends were around, but it's one built on memories from that incredible travel experience. Exactly 12 years ago, we were in Mexico, studying with the incredible Gustavo Esteva in Oaxaca. I remember walking down the street, watching my step to avoid slipping on super-ripe, fallen mangoes. Mango trees were dropping fruit, and some of those trees were ancient and massive. There was no need to collect the fruit, it was everywhere, any time.



Coast of Oaxaca, May, 2000
Coast of Oaxaca, sunset, May, 2000
Since there are no mango trees here, my sense of mango season is a bit skewed. When the grocery store starts selling mangoes for a buck a piece, and they pile in pyramids at the front of the store, my mind immediately goes back to the orange, mango-pulpy, sticky streets of Oaxaca.

Mango-puree Parfaits
Serves 2
Ingredients
1 large, ripe mango, skin and pit removed, cut into chunks
Juice of 1 small orange (about 1/3 cup)
1 teaspoon agave syrup or honey (optional)
3 cups yogurt (I used Saint Benoit's Meyer Lemon yogurt. It's only slightly sweet, and lightly flavored.)
granola (optional -- but here's my go-to recipe)

Directions
1. Blend mango, orange juice and agave syrup (if using) in a blender until smooth.
2. Layer the yogurt and mango puree in a small glass or ball jar. I like to have the mango puree on top, but that's a minor detail and up to you!
3. Top with granola, if using.

Enjoy for breakfast, brunch or dessert! Imagine yourself in a tropical mango paradise : )

1 comment:

  1. looks so vibrant, would love to start my day witha glass of that for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete