A blog of hopeful, inspired living: cooking & baking & growing & harvesting & preserving & gleaning & eating & sharing food... while bringing positive change to my kitchen and our food system.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Coconut Lime Sorta-Sorbet


With the hot weather continuing, my ice-cream maker is getting quite the work out and is certainly earning it's keep.  This recipe is the latest trial -- and will certainly be repeated.  It is dairy free, but seems too creamy and rich to lump into the 'sorbet' category.  Using coconut milk as the liquid (instead of water or a dairy product) makes this a refreshing and creamy dairy-free treat.  The lime and rum bump up the flavor, adding a fragrant, citrus-y edge without being booze-y.  This recipe also keeps well in the freezer: it does not become too hard or icy.

Coconut Lime Sorta-Sorbet, adapted from Making Artisan Gelato, by Torrance Kopfer
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts

Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk (about 1 1/2 cans)
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup lime juice, fresh and strained
1 Tablespoon gold or dark rum
Lime zest for serving

1. Heat the coconut milk and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil, stirring.  The sugar should be dissolved.  Boil for about a minute more, then remove from heat and let cool, about an hour.  To quicken the cooling process, you can place the saucepan in an ice-water bath and stir to cool.
2. Once cool, add the lime juice and rum.
3. Cover and chill overnight.
4. Freeze in ice-cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions.
5. To harden more, put the sorbet in a lidded container in your freezer for a couple more hours.
6. Serve with a nice zesting of lime on top (in the original recipe, lime zest is added in the last 5 minutes of freezing the sorbet in the machine.  I prefer fresh zest on top when it is served).

Chill out and enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I saw your photo on TS and thought I would pop in to say how pretty it is. The little shavings of lime on top are so pretty and clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll bet this is delicious with the coconut milk! If only I had an ice cream maker...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maryea, I recently read some suggestions for making ice cream and sorbet without an ice cream maker. Follow the instructions and instead of using the ice cream maker, freeze, removing from freezer every two hours and mixing with a hand mixer. Alternatively, freeze and then process in a food processor. Let me know if you try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOve! when I get an ice cream maker, I will make this, and post to my website, and give you all the credit!!

    www.gangybuffet.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore coconut and lime together.

    DARN I need an ice cream maker! I see in a previous comment that there is a way to do it without the maker, though. I might need to make this happen because oh, the combinations I could come up with. But coconut and lime would be right up there for sure! ;)

    ReplyDelete